E-mail: click here
Dr. Beaulieu joined the Prairie Swine Centre as Research Assistant to the President in 2001 and was promoted to Research Scientist in 2009. As such, she contributes to all aspects of the nutrition program from the recruitment of funds and protocol development to the actual conduct of the experiments, statistical analysis of the data and finally the reporting and/or publishing of the results.
Prior to joining the Prairie Swine Centre, Dr. Beaulieu was previously employed as a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Ohio State University and the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign where she was also a Visiting Assistant Professor.
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University 1994
- M.Sc., University of Saskatchewan 1986
- B.S.A., University of Saskatchewan 1979
- 2006: Production Research Stewardship Award (Sask Pork)
- 2004: National Pork Board Award for Innovation (Midwest Section, American Society of Animal Science)
- 2000: Innovation in Dairy Research Award (Midwest Section, American Dairy Science Association)
- 1989: Kennedy Fellowship (The Ohio State University)
- 1986: Graduate Student Competition Award (Canadian Society of Animal Science)
Current Research Program
- Dr. Beaulieu’s research is presently focused on defining the energy requirements of the growing pig and examining energy systems, nursery feeding programs, and defining the energy requirement of the lactating sow, as well as tools to decrease and/or manage variability in growth
Selected Professional Associations
- Member, American Society of Animal Science
- Member, American Dairy Science Association
- Member, Canadian Society of Animal Science
- Associate editor: Canadian Journal of Animal Science (CJAS)
- Reviewer: Journal of Animal Science, CJAS, Aquaculture, Animal Feed Science and Technology
- Ross, K.A., A.D. Beaulieu, J. Merrill, G. Vessie and J.F. Patience. 2011. The impact of ractopamine hydrochloride on growth and metabolism with special consideration of its role on nitrogen balance and water utilization in pork production. J. Anim. Sci. 89:2243-2256.
- Hinson, R.B., A.D. Beaulieu, D.Y. Kil, F. Ji, L.L. Stewart, J.F. Patience, J.E. Pettigrew, H.H. Stein and G.L. Allee. 2011. NE content of commercial and low-oligosaccharide soybean meal. J. Anim. Sci. 89:448-459.
- Juárez, M., M. E. R. Dugan, N. Aldai, J. L. Aalhus, J. F. Patience, R. T. Zijlstra and A. D. Beaulieu. 2011. Increasing omega-3 levels through dietary co-extruded flaxseed supplementation negatively affects pork palatability. Food Chem. 126:1716-1723.
- Beaulieu, A.D., J. Aalhus, N.H. Williams, and J.F. Patience. 2010. Impact of piglet birth weight, birth order on carcass quality, muscle composition and eating quality of pork. J. Anim. Sci. 88:2767-2778.
- Eastwood, L., P.R. Kish, A.D. Beaulieu, and P. Leterme. 2009. Nutritional value of flaxseed meal for swine and its effects on the fatty acid profile of the carcass. J. Anim. Sci. 87:3607-3619.