Research Scientist – Ethology
Prairie Swine Centre
Box 21057-2105 8th Street East
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7H 5N9
Phone: (306) 667-7442
E-mail: click here
Jennifer completed her Ph.D. in Applied Ethology at the University of Guelph, where she studied the effects of temperament and handling experience on the stress response of market pigs and pork quality. Before entering the field of ethology, Jennifer obtained BSc and MSc degrees at the University of Prince Edward Island, and worked in clinical chemistry research. Her research interests include behaviour, stress physiology, and individual differences (temperament) in pigs, with a focus on humane handling and slaughter methods and the interaction of genetic and environmental factors. Current research projects examine sow management in alternative housing systems and the relationship between temperament and the stress response.
- Ph.D. University of Guelph, 2010
- M.Sc. University of Prince Edward Island, 1993
- B.Sc. (Bio) University of Prince Edward Island, 1986
Current Research Projects
- Influence of mixing time during gestation on sow aggression and productivity
- Methods for assessing and managing pain in piglets at castration
- Reliability of temperament tests
- Heritability of temperament traits and relationship with the stress response
Professional Association Memberships
- Regional Secretary- International Society for Applied Ethology- 2009 – 2012
- Goumon, S, Brown, J, Faucitano, L, Bergeron, R, Crowe, T, Connor, L, and Gonyou, H., 2013. Effect of ramp configuration on easiness of handling, heart rate, and behavior of near-market weight pigs at unloading. J ANIM SCI August 2013 91:3889-3898.
- S. Torrey, R. Bergeron, L. Faucitano, T. Widowski, N. Lewis, T. Crowe, J.A. Correa, J. Brown, S. Hayne, and H.W. Gonyou, 2013. Transportation of market-weight pigs 1. Effect of season, truck type, and location within truck on behavior with a 2-h transport. JAS; published ahead of print March 11, 2013, doi:10.2527/jas.2012-6005
- S. Torrey, R. Bergeron, L. Faucitano, T. Widowski, N. Lewis, T. Crowe, J.A. Correa, J. Brown, S. Hayne, and H.W. Gonyou, 2013. Transportation of market-weight pigs 2. Effect of season and location within truck on behavior with an 8-h transport. JAS; published ahead of print March 11, 2013, doi:10.2527/jas.2012-6006.
- Brown, JA, Samarakone, TS, Crowe, T, Bergeron, R, Widowski, T, Correa, JA, Faucitano, L, Torrey, S and Gonyou, HW, 2011. Temperature and humidity conditions in trucks transporting pigs in two seasons in eastern and western Canada. Trans. ASABE, 54: 2311-2318.
- Brown, JA, Purslow, PP, deLange, CFM, Mandell, IB, Robinson, JAB, Squires, J, Widowski, TM (2009). Reliability of temperament tests on finishing pigs in group-housing, and comparison to social tests. Appl Anim Behav Sci. 118:28-35.