Yolande is based at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine, is an adjunct member of staff at Prairie Swine Centre. Prior to joining the WCVM in January 2012, Yolande worked at the Prairie Swine Centre as a post-doctoral research associate with the ethology and welfare department. Yolande’s research focuses on the behaviour and welfare of farmed pigs and explores the interactions between management, pig behaviour, welfare and productivity, with a strong multidisciplinary and applied research approach.
Yolande can be contacted at the WCVM at: email@example.com
Direct office line: 306-966-7151
Visit Yolande’s WCVM staff profile page: http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/wcvm_people/profiles/seddon_yolande.php
- September 2007- October 2011 Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: PhD titled ‘Development of improved disease monitoring tools and management strategies to promote health in finishing pigs.’
- 2005-2006 Writtle Agricultural College, Essex, UK: MSc in Animal Biology and Welfare
- 2002-2005 Myerscough Agricultural College, Lancashire, UK: BSc (Hons) in Animal Behaviour and Welfare
Current Research Projects
- Management of the gestating sow
- Piglet pain behavior and management of pain
- Evaluation of stocking density on behaviour, welfare and productivity of nursery pigs
Professional Association Memberships
- Universities Federation for Animal Welfare (UFAW)
- International Society for Applied Ethology (ISAE)
- British Society of Animal Science (BSAS)
- The Animal Welfare Science, Ethics and Law Veterinary Association (AWSELVA).
- Bilsborrow, K., Seddon, Y.M., Brown, J.A., Waldner, C. and Stookey, J.M. (2016) An investigation of a novel behavioural test for assessing pain in piglets following castration. Canadian Journal of Animal Science. 96: 376–38
- Seddon, Y.M., Cain, P.J., Guy, J.H. and Edwards, S.A. (2013) Development of a spreadsheet based financial model for pig producers considering higher welfare farrowing systems. Livestock Science. 157 (1), 317 – 321
- Cain, P.J., Guy, J.G., Seddon, Y., Baxter, E.M., Edwards, S.E. (2013) Estimating the economic impact of the adoption of novel non-crate sow farrowing systems in the UK. International Journal of Agricultural Management. 2 (2), 113-118
- Seddon, Y.M., Guy, J.H and Edwards, S.A. (2012) Optimising oral fluid collection from groups of pigs: Effect of housing system and provision of ropes. The Veterinary Journal. 193, (1), pp. 180 – 184
- Guy, J.H., Cain, P.J., Seddon, Y.M., Baxter, E.M. and Edwards, S.A. (2012) Economic evaluation of high welfare indoor farrowing systems for pigs. Animal Welfare. 21 (SUPPL. 1), pp. 19 – 24.
To view the full list of published work Yolande has been involved in, visit her Google Scholar citations page: https://scholar.google.ca/citations?hl=en&user=BFnG2VkAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate