Engineering Research Technician – Career Opportunity
Please submit cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is a term position funded through the Government of Canada – Canada Summer Jobs Program. The hours of work are negotiable; the term is September 1, 2020 and February 28, 2021, with the possibility of extension. The start date is also negotiable, but no later than September 15, 2020. Transportation to PSC is required.
Eligible applicants are those individuals who are between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive); are a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and those who are legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations. (*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents).
The eligible candidate will assist the PSC Engineering Research team in the conduct of on-going Engineering research trials, with the following duties and responsibilities:
- Participate in the development of the trial protocols for PSC Engineering research projects;
- Assist in the preparation of the experimental set-up. For example, installation, testing, and operation of electronic equipment (sensors, controllers, data loggers, etc), preparation of facilities, equipment, materials and supplies needed for the trials;
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of facilities and electronic equipment to be used in the experiments, and care of the experimental subjects and material as required;
- Conduct associated record keeping: downloading electronic data, data entry and processing;
- Assist in data analysis and preparation of reports and publications based on the trial outcomes.
When there are no scheduled activities related to the Engineering research trials, the candidate will also assist in the operation and maintenance of electronic and mechanical systems in the PSC research facility.
Specific job skills required for the position:
- Install, maintain and service equipment
- Calibrate electronic equipment and instruments
- Assist in inspecting, testing and adjusting electronic components
- Set up and operate specialized and standard test equipment to diagnose, test and analyze the performance of electrical and electronic components, assemblies and systems
- Make adjustments and minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilation, plumbing and electrical systems, and contact tradespersons for major repairs
- Perform other routine maintenance jobs such as painting and repair
- Perform minor repairs on small equipment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, excellent attention to detail, organization, and record keeping
- Willing to travel periodically and complete tasks requiring extended work hours when necessary
- Capable of physical tasks such as lifting, carrying a hand-held sprayer, walking in the field and bending.
- Farm background and/or farm machinery experience, previous research experience and good mechanical aptitude, are all an asset but not mandatory.
Ideally the applicant will currently be studying in the field of agricultural/environmental research with knowledge of scientific research processes, preferably in the field of livestock agriculture or environmental studies, as the job will involve experimental work in this area. Familiarity and background in electronic and mechanical devices will be desirable as the job will involve the operation and care of these devices in carrying out the research trials.
PSC makes reasonable efforts to employ those youth who are part of groups which are underrepresented or have additional barriers to the labour market (new immigrant/refugee, visible minorities/racialized youth, women in STEM).