In order to maintain the health and well-being of our pig herd, and to maintain the integrity of our Research, Teaching and Technology Transfer programs, it is very important that the following security protocols be followed by all visitors to the Prairie Swine Centre. A copy of the visitor policy will be mailed or faxed in advance to visitors explaining the visitor policy.
For more information on our biosecurity protocol please call
(306) 373-9922 (Ext. 221).
Biosecurity Requirements in Visiting Prairie Swine Centre
Office and Barn Visitors
- Vehicles that will be arriving on site must not have been involved in the transport of swine
- Visitors are required to arrive at the Centre in footwear and clothing that has not been worn in facilities housing swine
- Visitors must park in the visitor’s parking lot only
- All visitors must register in the main office upon arriving at the Centre
Additional Requirements for Barn Visitors
- These requirements are in addition to the Office and Barn Visitor requirements
- All people entering the barn must have been away from swine for a minimum of three previous nights. This includes swine facilities, abattoirs, veterinary clinics, auction marts, or any other facility used to house or transport swine.
- All visitors must be informed of biosecurity protocols in the office, and read, sign and date a visitor’s form prior to entering the barn.
- Visitors to the barn or surrounding compound will be required to change into white rubber boots in the main office before proceeding to the main barn or before entering the compund. Boots will be supplied in the main office by the receptionist
- Repeat visitors will not be required to repeat the orientation procedure unless a period greater than three months has transpired since the last visit.
- All people entering the barn will be required to shower in prior to entering the facility.
- All clothing worn within the barn will be supplied by Prairie Swine Centre including undergarments, socks, shorts, shirts, coveralls, and footwear.