Canadian Hog Journal Banff 2017
Sustainable Intensification – Depleting Natural Resources
- In order to have sustainable systems, the five fundamentals are needed. These include financial, animal welfare, food safety, worker availability and well-being and environmental.
Animal Protein’s Challenging Role in Feeding a Hungry Planet
- Producing food has the largest impact on the environment. Demand for meat is only increasing and more sustainable measures are needed.
Swine Health: Preparedness for a Foreign Animal Disease, Modeling the Transboundary Survival of Foreign Animal Disease Pathogens in Contaminated Feed Ingredients
- Prevention is the first step to preparing for a foreign animal disease, followed by early detection and response plans.
- Foreign animal diseases were identified that could be risks to North America. Vehicles for introduction could be through contaminated feed transport.
Animal Transport Issues: Minimizing Challenges Caused by Animal Rights Groups
- Have a code of conduct, hire the right people, train and retain, establish a reporting system, document problems and focus on transport.
Sow Productivity: Farrowing Room Management, Determinants of Lactation Success in Primiparous Sows
- Focused management on the farrowing barn, room and crate support improved health, welfare and growth production outcomes for piglets and weaned pigs.
- Culling of gilts following a poor first lactation is an economic drain for producers. Preparing the gilt for a successful first lactation will benefit performance in subsequent parities.
Labour Management: Changing Landscape of Agricultural Labour
- Influences and issues that impact agricultural employment are explored.
Transport Wash Innovation Wins Aherne Prize Seminar
- Blue Water Wash of Blumenort, Manitoba accepted the award for the company’s new innovative heavy equipment undercarriage wash.
Changing the Conversation
- Negative perception of brands can be changed.
Winning the Battle of Public Misconception About Food
- Genetic modification is a new technology that the public are concerned about. The public needs to be educated to show that this is a beneficial technology.
Breeding Technologies: Current Strategies and Technologies for Reproductive Management of Gilts and Sows, Application of Sexed Sperm in Pig Production, Editing the Genome for PRRSV Resistance
- Technologies to increase the precision of pig reproduction are becoming more widely available. These technologies are further discussed.
- As sorting capacity improves, commercial application of sexed sperm is expected to increase. Fast Genetics explains sex sorting using flow cytometry.
- Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome Virus may be mitigated by gene editing to delete the protein responsible for infection.
Is Re-Tooling over, or Just Beginning?
- Demand can make or break a market. In order to get a clear picture of the demand, the price must be combined with the consumption
Banff 2017 (full journal)